The reporting system of the Ramsar Sites Database includes two search facilities:
1. A "quick search" facility to find Ramsar sites using any of the following fields:
- Site Name
- Ramsar Site number
- Wetland International Site number
2. An "advanced search" facility to find Ramsar sites by selecting on nearly any
combination of criteria by using the " build query" function.
- If you want to select more than one item in a listbox, hold down the Ctrl-key.
- In most cases you can indicate OR relationship between the listbox values you selected. The default is AND (except for Ramsar Region and Country, the default is OR).
- For certain fields (dates, area, elevation, etc.) you can enter either a minimum, maximum or a range.
- Coordinates have to be entered in latitude/longitude decimal degrees (e.g. 11°30'S = -11.5 decimal degrees and 149°15' = 149.25 decimal degrees)
- You can reset your selection by pressing the "reset" button at the bottom of the page.
After each search the database will give the number of sites found, the total area of the selected sites, and a list with all sites in the database that fulfill the given criteria.
Example1:Search for all Ramsar sites in Europe which are designated under at least criterion 5 OR 6.
· Select 'Europe' under Ramsar Region
· Select criteria '5' and '6' under Ramsar criteria (hold down the Ctrl-key) and activate "OR" by clicking on the tickbox (if "OR" is not activated, only the Ramsar sites which have criteria 5 AND 6 are selected)
·Press the search button
RESULT: The database will return a list of all sites in the database that fulfil these criteria. To see the details of a site, select a report.
Example2: Search for all Ramsar sites of which the dominant wetland types are lakes or rivers and which are
important for commercial fishing.
·Select wetland types 'M', 'N', 'O', 'P' (permanent/seasonal lakes and permanent/seasonal rivers) under
dominant wetland type (hold down the Ctrl-key) and activate "OR" by clicking on the tickbox
·Select 'commercial fishing' under Land use within Ramsar site
·Press the search button
RESULT: The database will return a list of all sites in the database that fulfill these criteria. To see the details of a site, select a report.
The available information on the subset of sites selected through the "Quick Search" and "Advanced Search" facilities, can be reported in different ways:
1. Site Overview:
This option allows you to click on the data fields that you would like to include in the report. After selecting the data fields, press the "Report Checked " button. If you want all the information kept in the database on the selected Ramsar sites be included in the report, press the "Report All" button. You can choose for a single site report or to report all sites at once (by using the Sites overview link above the list of all sites found). You may print the report(s) after they are displayed on screen, using standard Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator print tools.
2. Ramsar information Sheet and Maps :
A link to the most recent Ramsar Information Sheet (PDF format) of the site submitted by the Contracting Party to the Ramsar Convention Secretariat.
3. Summary Description:
A link to the short summary "Annotated List" site description maintained by the Ramsar Secretariat.
4. View in Google Earth:
A link that zooms in on the central coordinates for the Ramsar site accurate to two decimal places. In order to use this function you must have Google earth downloaded on your computer (GoogleEarth). Additional information, such as Ramsar Sites Google Earth kml files can be accessed from the following page: "Ramsar Sites In Google Earth".
All data on the selected Ramsar sites can be exported and saved as a text file to be imported into Excel for further analysis and/or mapping purpose by using the "Export sites data" link (above the list of all selected sites found).
- Click "Export sites data" link above the generated list with selected sites (bulk reporting may take a while!)
- Save the data as a .rcsv document on your PC
- Close the Download complete message
- Open Excel-software
- Open the saved . rscv document
A window with the Text Import Wizard pops up:
Original data type: select Delimited, click next
Delimiters: select Tab and Comma, Text qualifier: select ", click next
Column data format: select General, click Finish
Finally, an Excel table is generated with all site data included in the Ramsar Sites Database.
Click here to download Adobe Reader - software for viewing and printing PDF files!
For any comments, suggestions and/or questions on the Ramsar Sites Information Service, please mail to: email@example.com